August 28, 2009

A Day-in-the-Life of Our Homeschool




Here we are taking part in Darcy's Not Back-to-School Blog Hop with A Day-in-the-Life week. Last year we had a sorta schedule, but we pretty much did what needed doin’ without being rigid. I don’t like rigid too much…it tends to stress me out. Especially if/when something comes up – which it inevitably does – that throws my schedule outta whack.

I like to relax and go with what feels right. “Feel like going for a nature hike instead of handwriting on this beautiful day? Sure, let’s go.” However, I now have two kiddos in middle school with high school looming around the corner {don’t look!}. With that bein’ said, I need to make sure I’m covering all the bases so a schedule is sorta in for this year. Actually, we’re going to use it as a loose base, like a jello framework – semisolid but not too rigid.

My first attempt to capture a snapshot of our day - and put it into words - fell flat. Very funny...but flat. Why? Because I listed what actually happened on that typical day. If I had published that post, I am sure the blog police would have shut down my account for excessive length. If they weren't already passed out from excessive laughter. 

So, in an effort to keep this short & sweet, I've summarized what is supposed to happen.  Not hilarious, but pretty accurate.

7:00 - 8:00    Kids wake up and get dressed.  Morning chores.  Breakfast.  Brush teeth.  Fit in a nature walk or fishing if time {Mr.C's favorite!}.

8:00 - 12:00  Bible, Lang.arts, Math, Music, Art. Alternating between written work and the computer, we cover the following Monday thru Thursday: language arts; math; spanish.  M & W is music appreciation.  T & Th is art appreciation.  Bible is everyday.  Snack/break sometime around 9:30, 10:00.

12:00 - 1:00  Lunch/break.  Nature photo op out back of flowers, birds, etc.{Catz's favorite!}

1:00 - 2:00   Science.  Using two different curriculums for two different kids.  Challenging.

2:00 - 3:00   History.  Couch time!  Love reading historical fiction together. 

So that's our day in a nutshell.  Do we accomplish this every day?  No.  But the schedule is there to help me get back on track when we go off on a tangent.  However, tangents can be loads of fun, too!  So relax and enjoy the blessing of spending more time with your precious kids.  They'll learn what they need to know.  And you'll be blessed beyond measure!


Once Upon a Muffin

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I LOVE comments...you're so great to leave 'em for me. Thanks for taking the time!
~Susan