March 10, 2011

Sweetness...by Mail

Stepping outside onto the warming front porch slab I blink in the late morning sun. The walk to the box isn’t one of my normal routines. That’s TechDaddy’s job. But today I make the walk in true Florida-girl style: bare feet! The feel of the sidewalk and grass is so yummy to my soles and my soul. It’s been cold for far too long and I need a faux field trip. I almost feel like I’m skipping school or taking an extra-long lunch break from work, it’s that good.

I didn’t expect much from the mailbox. It was really just a catalyst to get me outdoors. But there’s a treasure tucked in between the car insurance quote that I don’t need and the sample baby diaper {I get these still? My kids are teens now!}.

A card. It’s wrapped in a pale yellow envelope like a hug waiting to explode. Wait, who’s it from? Ah, my sweet Catz! She is such a gem! It’s got encouraging words and a special note from her, and I run to find her sitting on her loft studying biology notes. She sees what’s in my hand and her eyes light up as I climb up to wrap her in my hug and kiss her sweet-smelling head and we spend some time chatting about cells {briefly}, books {mostly}, and our trip to Disney.

And I say a prayer of thanks for the push to be intentional this year. In an effort to connect with friends old and new I decided to invest in them via an old-fashioned vehicle: snail mail. Yep, that’s right. Licking envelopes and sticking on stamps.  This is the motivation behind 52 hearts.

As I pondered over buying so many cards, I decided to join Dayspring’s Heart Connection Card Club {woo! What a mouthful!}. Every month they send me a pack of cards they hand-picked. If I like, I keep and send them my payment. If I don’t like, I send the cards back, no payment. It’s a pretty sweet deal as I’ve been sending cards  to this person or that. And I don’t have to worry about sending the same card to mutual friends {“Look at this cute card Susan sent me” “Hey, she sent me the same one.” Gulp.}.

So I stuck the cards in a cute basket in my kitchen, letting Catz have full access to send cards to anyone on her list. And this time it’s me!!

How does this make me feel?  Special. Cared for. Loved.

But most of all, I feel blessed.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there! I LOVE comments...you're so great to leave 'em for me. Thanks for taking the time!
~Susan