May 25, 2011

52 hearts: Encouragement takes Bravery

"Encourage" is a strange word.  By itself, it looks positive and happy and everything-is-right-with-the-world perfect.  It looks like a pat on the back, sounds like a "way to go!", and feels like a warm hug.  It seems easy on paper, especially when you're talking about people you know.  How difficult is it for me to encourage my husband, kids, siblings, or mom?  Not hard at all.  But stepping outside our own little worlds to lift someone else up can sometimes {or often} be very daunting for most people.

I think the most obvious roadblock to people encouraging one another comes from our fear of rejection.  "That lady looks like she needs to hear something nice. But what if she gets aggravated and thinks I'm being nosy? I'd better leave her alone." So what does it take to put ourselves out there and say something nice to a stranger?  To hold a hand or give a hug?  With no worry of being rejected?

Bravery.  To put it plainly, a body needs to be brave to step forward, make a move, do something right and positive and good.  Being brave means you're willing to take a chance and say something even though you really aren't certain of the outcome.  But what you say or do could be so powerful that it rocks someone's world in such a way as to give them hope.  It could change their life.  And it most definitely will change yours.

"For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the LORD, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."  Jeremiah 29:11

Because all this bravery and encouragement comes with an added benefit.  When you see someone's eyes light up at your words or catch them biting their lip as their eyes fill with tears from the simple gesture of putting your hand on their back, you'll feel it in your own heart, too.  And you will be a better person for it.

But encouragement comes in more ways than spoken words and hugs.  It comes from gestures that show we care...that say "You're awesome!" and "I love you."  And that's what we get to do through Compassion International.  For the scores of children living in extreme poverty in this world we get to say "I care about you and will be here to encourage you."  Sponsoring a child through Compassion is more than just giving some money every month.  You get to be that child's cheerleader, encouraging them through circumstances that most people cannot even fathom.  You get to write your child letters, send him photos, pray for her, and be a light in their world.

In a few days Compassion will be sending a team of bloggers to the Philippines to share what they witness in that poverty-stricken land.  Though these messengers will get to encourage children and parents alike, this will be a lesson in bravery as well.  These women and this man will be taking a chance and wearing their hearts on their sleeves.  They will see and hear stories that may take their breath away.  They will probably feel heartbreak and shed tears by the bucket.  But they will be better people for it.

So now it's your turn.  Is this your day to make a move?  Are you willing to be brave and encourage another?  I know you can do it!

{Please be sure to pray for and follow the Compassion bloggers through their daily posts and at Twitter.}

3 comments:

  1. Well, I certainly don't know how brave I feel (in fact, probably the opposite right about now!), but I am definitely anticipating the Lord breaking my heart for the beautiful people of the Philippines, and yep, shedding plenty of tears. It will be hard, in a very, very good way.

    Thanks so much for mentioning the trip! We appreciate it so much, and definitely keep the prayers coming! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I so agree with Stephanie. I feel so un-ready for this trip. But could I ever really be ready? Thank you for your sweet prayers and support. They mean so much to us.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had never thought of the need for bravery when it comes to encouragement, but you are so right.

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I LOVE comments...you're so great to leave 'em for me. Thanks for taking the time!
~Susan