When we were in the early years of homeschooling our kids I used to imagine briefly what their high school curriculum would be like. Notice I said “briefly.” That’s because I would start to dwell on subjects and course credits {from what I had overheard from other, wiser mothers of older children} but feeling my brain would implode under the potential stress I would find a happy place in my mind and shove the high school thoughts over a cliff and skip away with my kids into early childhood oblivion.
Thinking about it would fill me with fear over how I would ever manage to handle teaching high school subjects to my kids one day. Yet here I am in the midst of upper level math and science and writing without a tear or sign of the shakes. Well, sort of. But really, all this was laid out to tell you one important truth: you can do this.
You, the one here with the middle schooler...you can do it. Or you over there next to the 3rd graders…you can do it. And even you, the one holding the baby and smelling of spitup…someday you will be able to do it, too. You can all teach high school.
Someday, when it’s time and if you so choose, you will rise to the challenge and accept the responsibility. Why? Because then, after you’ve put in your time changing a bazillion diapers, cleaning crayon off the wall, making crystals, explaining long division, listening to the symphonies of Bach, showing the purpose of writing a persuasive paper, and reading aloud the accounts of ancient civilizations, then you will be ready for high school.
Are you ready to imagine the wonderful possibilities? I’m excited for you and would love to hear your thoughts, dreams, and even concerns. You can do it!

No comments:
Post a Comment
Hey there! I LOVE comments...you're so great to leave 'em for me. Thanks for taking the time!
~Susan