February 9, 2009

A B See Photo Meme: D is for Darling Dress...a la LOTR


Seeing as Catz's 13th birthday is coming up, I guess I can divulge one of my latest projects {and do the A B See Photo Meme, too}. Last summer my sweet girl requested I sew her a special dress for her special birthday. She chose this one {dress A} due to her love of the LOTR series of books and movies. And hey, it's a pretty dress!

No, I don't consider myself a seamstress. That term I save for those girls and women who can whip out a wardrobe in a week {or less}. They've got skills! Me? I feel very blessed if I can make a skirt. In less than a year.

It's not that I can't, it's that I always seem to find other things taking up my time. Like homeschooling. And making dinner. And reading all the 119 blog feeds I signed up for. I really need to prioritize.

Anyway, as you see, the pattern pouch is sitting on some of the fabric Catz chose. It's a deep olive/forest green and it is supposed to will have gold satin lining in the sleeves as well as something similar to shantung in the yoke.

For those of you who are saying "Shan-what?", don't feel bad. When I first saw the word I couldn't decide if it was some sort of fancy cutlery or a disease of the mouth. Praise the Lord I have Google to define words or I'd have to walk to the bookshelf and crack open a book. I personally think using the computer to define a word is a lot like using a remote to change the tv channel. But that's another topic...back to sewing.

In the above photo the pattern is also lying near my nasty Kenmore sewing machine. Yes, I am thankful I have my own machine. Especially when there are starving kids in...uh, wait. Wrong story. Anyway, I'm happy, even thrilled to have this noisy contraption device to sew on. But let's face it. This thing is so ornery that it often times simply refuses to work properly. It's like a toddler keeping his lips firmly shut when mom is trying to feed him. Very frustrating.
But I am determined to deal with it. So here I am. With a beautiful dress to make for my cutie. And a moody sewing machine. But I have one more thing that's even worse...a deadline.
So before I get back to sewing, I have to ask...what projects are you trying to finish?


Once Upon a Muffin

4 comments:

  1. Wow, I can't wait to see it! Sewing may be on the horizon for me too as I may help my daughter make a medieval dress.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elisabeth! I WILL have the dress finished by this Thursday. {Yes, yes!} I have one more sleeve, the zipper, and the bottom hem. Catz is so excited! I'll post it this Friday. What pattern are you using for your daughter's dress?

    {By the way, I tried posting a comment on your blog, but it kinda froze on me. Frustrating, right? Hope Blogger fixes it soon...I miss reading your posts. :) }

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought this very same pattern for me to sew for our medieval days but it looks like I may end up with a different dress than the ones here.

    Did you finish your daughters dress? I would love to see a picture. Pretty please?:)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, you had to ask that question! I have at least two quilts in the works. I want to make Barbie cloths with scraps, curtains for my daughter's room, sock monkey's for the girls... I need to mend SEVERAL items including my four year old's princess dress, before the skirt falls off the bodice. But, hey, if I wait till it does, I won't have to rip the seam at all. I also need to mend a hamper lining. I think I may pull the machine out today... I think. Thanks for the funny post! I can relate! I ask myself, "What do I HAVE to get done today?" and sewing usually moves further and further down the list till the day is gone. :(

    ReplyDelete

Hey there! I LOVE comments...you're so great to leave 'em for me. Thanks for taking the time!
~Susan